This page has been established to facilitate sharing of information with the A(c)(k)(e)hurst One Name Study group: AKEHURSTer World
My Akehursts are from Hellingly in Sussex, England and I am a descendant of Jane BURGESS, an illegitimate daughter who was baptized on 1 October 1797 at Hellingly, Sussex, England. The parish register says that she is the daughter of John AKEHURST and Maria BURGESS who married one year later in 1798.
The information below represents aspects of my research into the Akehurst family. Researching the Akehursts of East Sussex (esp. at Hellingly) has posed some difficulties due to the common usage of the name John Akehurst. However, significant progress has been made in transcribing Akehurst wills for Sussex and these are available from the Sussex Family History Group Wills Depository.
The following Descendant Charts present most of my information for the Akehursts of Hellingly. Double-click on individuals to read more information:
- The Akehursts of Hellingly - Robert Akehurst (c1500-c1559)
- The Akehursts of Hastings & Hellingly - Shepard & Joan Akehurst (c1540-1604)
- The Akehursts of Hellingly - Samuel Akehurst (1634-1685) (David Evan's line)
- The Akehursts of Hellingly - John Akehurst (c1726-1754) (Geoff Barber's line #1)
- The Akehursts of Hailsham, Wilmington, Alfriston & Beddingham - Thomas Akehurst of Hailsham (c1560-1612) (Geoff Barber's line #2)
- The Akehursts of Hooe
MISCELLANEOUS AKEHURST DESCENDANTS CHARTS (YET TO BE PLACED IN BIGGER TREES)
These Akehurst familes have been pieced together through various wills in conjunction with the Sussex baptisms, marriage and burials indexes. As further information becomes available they may be able to be placed in some of the larger trees.