This page has been established to facilitate sharing of information concerning the ALCE/ALSE surname in East Sussex. Variants of the surname include ALS, ALSE, ALSEY, ALICE and rarely (in East Sussex at least), ELSEY. The variant ELSEY is much more common in West Sussex.
My Alces are from East Blatchington in Sussex, England and I am a descendant of Thomas ALCE and Susanna BURROUGHS who married there in 1678.
Nearly all the ALCE family lines in East Sussex go back to the adjacent parishes of Beddingham and West Firle. Putting together the family trees in this early period (1538-1700) is made difficult by gaps in the parish records, particularly at Beddingham where records are missing in the 1641-1673 period. Also, many of the parish registers that survive only start in the early 1600s. Consequently, a project was started to transcribe all the ALCE/ALSE wills for East Sussex to help fill the gaps. The various family trees that have been able to be established are presented here, and all the wills found are located on the individual page for the relevant person.
Beddingham Family Trees
- Tree 1. Thomas Alse senior of Beddingham (Geoff Barber's line)
- Tree 2. Thomas Alse junior of Beddingham - later the Glynde Alces
- Tree 3. George & Mary Alce of Beddingham (c1560-1636)
- Tree 4. Alces of Bishopstone, East Blatchington & Eastbourne
- Tree 5. John Alce of Alciston
- Tree 6. William Alce of Piddinghoe (c1630-1678)