This page has been established to facilitate sharing of information with the A(c)(k)(e)hurst One Name Study group: AKEHURSTer World
My Akehursts are from Hellingly in Sussex, England and I am a descendant of Jane BURGESS, an illegitimate daughter who was baptized on 1 October 1797 at Hellingly, Sussex, England. The parish register says that she is the daughter of John AKEHURST and Maria BURGESS who married one year later in 1798.
Researching the Akehursts of East Sussex (esp. at Hellingly) has posed some difficulties due to the common usage of the name John Akehurst. Anyone researching this name in Sussex should get a (free) copy of my book "The Akehurst Wills of East Sussex 1541-1858" which can be downloaded from this site (see Publications menu tab on Home page). The family trees below have resulted from my research into the Akehurst family and have been numbered to be consistent with the trees given in the book.
- Tree 1. The Akehursts of Hellingly - Robert Akehurst (c1500-c1559)
- Tree 2. The Akehursts of Hastings & Hellingly - Mr John Akehurst & Mrs Anna Newington
- Tree 3. The Akehursts of Hooe - Edward Akehurst (1700-1758)
- Tree 4. The Akehursts of Hailsham, Wilmington, Alfriston & Beddingham - Thomas Akehurst of Hailsham (c1560-1612) (Geoff Barber's line #2)
- Tree 5A. The Akehursts of Hellingly - John Akehurst (c1720-1777) (David Evan's line)
- Tree 5B. The Akehursts of Hellingly - John Akehurst (c1726-1754) (Geoff Barber's line #1)
- Tree 6. Samuel Akehurst of Brighton
- Tree 7. The Akehursts of Herstmonceux & Hellingly - John Akehurst & Susannah Pollington (c1680- )
- Tree 8. John & Jane Akehurst of Folkington - parents of Raphe Akehurst of Lewes
- Tree 9. John Akehurst of Rotherfield (c1620-1683 )
MISCELLANEOUS AKEHURST DESCENDANTS CHARTS (YET TO BE PLACED IN BIGGER TREES)
These Akehurst familes have been pieced together through various wills in conjunction with the Sussex baptisms, marriage and burials indexes. As further information becomes available they may be able to be placed in some of the larger trees.